After a season-opening loss to a powerful Western Boone team that would roll through the season undefeated, the Sheridan Blackhawks football team won seven straight en route to an 8-3 final record.
Sheridan finished the season ranked in the top 10 in Class A polls.
It wound up being a true defensive struggle in driving rain as the Monroe Central Golden Bears ended Sheridan's season in the sectional finals by a score of 8-0 in a rematch of last year’s season-ender.
The good news is that the slump that began in 2013 when SHS finished with a 5-6 mark and that was followed by a 7-5 record in 2014, a 3-7 disappointment in 2015 and 6-5 in 2016 appears to be over. The state power that Sheridan historically is recorded a 9-3 record last year and 8-3 this year.
Coach Bud Wright's state-leading win total just keeps growing. The legendary Sheridan coach now has 418 wins against only 195 losses (almost a 70 percent win ratio) and is far ahead of New Prairie's Russ Radtke's 357 wins.
On that last game of the year, the first quarter was three-and-out city as neither team had a third down conversion until Monroe Central converted with just under three minutes to go in the first quarter. However, the Golden Bears’ drive would stall and a high snap over the punter’s head gave Sheridan field position on the Monroe Central 21 yard line right before a scoreless first quarter ended.
Sheridan managed to get to the two yard line at the beginning of the second quarter but the Blackhawks could not convert a fourth and goal. Monroe Central could not get past the 18 yard line and had a 54 yard punt to set Sheridan back at their own 28. After a fumble two plays later, the Golden Bears seemingly had new life but could not convert on fourth down. The first half ended 0-0.
Monroe Central started the second half with a three and out and their punt was blocked, giving Sheridan prime field position. However, a failed fourth down conversion gave the Golden Bears the ball back. Neither team was able to generate any drive-sustaining momentum and the third quarter ended scoreless.
After a long Sheridan punt had Monroe Central back at their own 10 yard line, Jaxson Ullom threw a short pass to Seth Wilson that Wilson took 90 yards along the right sideline for a touchdown. A successful two point conversion made the score 8-0 with 10:03 left in the fourth quarter.
Try as they might, the Blackhawks could not muster a successful comeback as Drake Delph threw his second interception of the night in the final 30 seconds of the game to Matt Poole with a kneel down ending the game.
Sheridan’s season ended with muddy uniforms and a spirit dampened by the elements and a long touchdown pass but Bud Wright’s team will be back next season.